It was a festive. clean eating Easter on Sunday morning on Good Morning Connecticut when yours truly, The Clean Eating Coach, whipped up a healthy and delicious brunch casserole. I had a great time with Jeff and Erica as we discussed how easy it to make a clean eating, healthy holiday meal that you and your family can enjoy. Fresh asparagus is the star of this delightful dish – perfectly in season during spring.
Asparagus is bursting with important nutrients from Vitamins A, C and E and fiber to B Vitamins and folate. Simply put, it’s so good for you! Paired with smoked salmon and variety of other fresh veggies, it’s sure to please at your next brunch.
Watch the video and see just how easy it is!
I love this recipe for lots of different reasons – it’s not only healthy and clean eating but it boasts lots of fresh vegetables, you can make it in a short time and it’s perfect for a crowd. What’s more, it’s a great dish for little ones to help you assemble it, providing some healthy fun in the kitchen. I love the fact that you can easily make this your own by adding the veggies of your choice. Have fun and get creative with it – I also like adding a fresh, ripe tomato slices or roasted red peppers.
4 100% whole wheat English muffins, split and quartered
1 cup shredded cheese (I use part-skim)
½ lb. smoked salmon
1 medium red onion, chopped
½ lb. asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
8 ounces of baby spinach, cooked until slightly wilted
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp. dried mustard
1 tsp. dried dill
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1. Spray a 9 x 13 glass, metal or aluminum pan with cooking spray.
2. Place English muffins, cut side up, in the bottom of a casserole dish.
3. Sprinkle cheese over English muffins.
4. Layer on smoked salmon.
5. Sprinkle onion over salmon.
6. Spread chopped asparagus and wilted spinach over onion.
7. In a bowl, beat the four eggs, add the milk and salt, pepper, mustard and dill.
8. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.
9. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
11. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
12. Let cool slightly, serve and enjoy.
What’s your favorite clean eating, healthy recipe that’s perfect for spring? Do share!